Baby’s First Massage® teaches you how to instruct parents and caregivers to massage infants providing better health and bonding. The course offers current research and gives consideration to the unique physiological needs of the infant. After completing the course, you would be able to teach in small groups with babies and caregivers, or in large groups using role playing and hands-on practice with dolls. Upon receiving certification, you will be an Accredited Infant Massage Instructor, A.I.M.I.
What You Will Learn:
• Understand early infant communication.
• How to enhance the parasympathetic nervous system.
• Discover an awareness of touch as a powerful communication.
• Identify how the autonomic nervous system becomes disorganized from the birth process and potentially, how the vagus nerve is directly affected.
• Identify how much pressure to use with each massage stroke and practice ‘Listening touch’.
• How to demonstrate newborn massage on a doll.
• Review and discuss the polyvagal theory and how it relates to newborn massage.
• Demonstrate how to perform the strokes on a doll.
• Explain how to teach the massage sequence to parents.
• Demonstrate the ability to teach a practice class.
• Develop a plan for a Baby’s First Massage® program.
• Describe how to modulate touch to nurture newborns.
• Increase your awareness of current research that supports infant massage.
This course is perfect for Physicians, Nurses, Childbirth Assistants, Massage Therapists, Physical Therapists, Social Workers, Counselors, Doulas, Occupational Therapists, Early Intervention Specialists, Teachers of Parenting Skills
Date(s): Sat, September 30 - Sun, October 1 2017 (9 am - 6 pm)
Cost: $320 before August 1/ $350 after
Instructor: Amy Sullivan
About the Instructor:
Amy Stenger Sullivan, owner of Baby’s First Massage®, has been an LMT for over 19 years. Her focus has been fertility, pregnancy, and postnatal massage, and she has been teaching infant massage since 1998. She has deep knowledge of techniques, human physiology, and current research and brings her unique blend of humor and nurturing spirit to her classes.
*All continuing education opportunities are based on availability. In the event that a course does not fill, or the instructor must cancel, the Institute for Massage Education reserves the right to cancel the course.
Don't see the course or instructor you were looking for? Send us your recommendations today!